Arthritis is an extremely unpleasant inflammatory disease that affects the joints and leads to excruciating pain. If the legs are affected, there are also difficulties with movement, and this significantly reduces the quality of life, making it difficult for a person to work and rest fully.
On the one hand, it may seem that arthritis treatment with folk remedies is completely ineffective. But this is not so, not “grandmother’s” recipes are described here, but only those that have been confirmed by scientific research. Therefore, we invite you to get acquainted with the best home recipes for arthritis.
Ginger is the best remedy for arthritis
Up to 3% of the total composition of the ginger root is occupied by a complex essential oil, consisting of the following components:
- α- and β-zingiberenes are organic substances from the terpene class (there are similar ones, for example, in pine resin, also used to treat joints);
The last substance on the list, gingerol, got its name from the word “ginger”, that is, “ginger”, because it is contained only in it and determines the unique spicy aroma of this plant.
In addition, ginger contains vitamins (ascorbic acid, retinol, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin), minerals (sodium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, zinc) and essential amino acids (methionine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, valine, threonine). Regular consumption of ginger root itself benefits the body, helps relieve inflammation, accelerates tissue regeneration and increases resistance to disease.
According to scientific studies, ginger extract, taken by mouth for arthritis, is comparable in effectiveness to ibuprofen and betamethasone. And the use of grated ginger root for daily compresses on the sore joint reduces the intensity of pain by half in a week.
Infusion of ginger, honey and lemon for oral administration:
- Put two tablespoons of fresh ginger root grated on a fine grater on the bottom of a glass liter jar.
- Squeeze out the juice from one lemon there.
- Pour boiling water over to the brim and stir.
- Wait until the mixture cools down to room temperature and add two tablespoons of liquid honey to it, mix thoroughly again.
- Store the infusion in the refrigerator and take half a glass three times a day.
Alcohol tincture for rubbing a sore joint:
- Pour twenty grams of dry ginger powder (about the amount usually found in a standard bag of spice intended for culinary purposes) pour into a glass jar.
- Pour 250 ml of vodka into the powder, close the lid tightly and shake.
- Store the tincture in a dark, cool place for at least two weeks, shaking the jar from time to time.
- A ready-made folk remedy is used for arthritis as a basis for rubbing and compresses on a sore joint.
- Prepare a fabric base (rolled gauze, cotton towel, old handkerchief) to fit the arthritic joint, as well as cellophane and insulation.
- Pour a few tablespoons of dry ginger powder into a saucer and mix with warm water so that a thick gruel is obtained.
- Put this gruel in an even thin layer on a fabric base, attach to a sore spot, cover with cellophane and wrap it on top, for example, with a scarf.
- Keep the compress for at least 20 minutes, you can also 40 – this will not lead to a burn, the heat will be even and deep.
After removing the compress, wash the skin with warm water and cover it with clothes – the joint should not cool down sharply.